Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Videos + Serious Info!!!

The site (YouTube) I am using to host the water polo videos is having some web issues, so you probably won't be able to access any videos for a short while. I am working on uploading to a different host site and hopefully will be able to put the new video into the Illpolo Blog if I get the chance. This site has the bar that shows the progress of the file, and it moves about a centimeter every five minutes which is painful to watch if you are the one behind-the-scene just sitting there trying to upload a video. It ranks right up there with watching paint dry, golf on TV, or any game of soccer. I guess watching the grass grow would probably also be on that list.

By the way, a few things to mention:
1) Parents/players can send scores or any other information. When I usually talk about Illpolo I always say WE instead of I whenever I can, because the site wouldn't be efficient without the support of parents and players in addition to coaches, as information is always hard to come by. As long as you aren't making up things like Joe Bagodonuts scored 44 goals for Evanston in a 234-2 win over New Trier you can feel free to pitch in and help whenever possible.

2) There is no staff for Illpolo. In the past, my favorite emails were "you and your staff should do this..." or "To the Illpolo.com Staff" - Quite honestly, I am sitting in a semi-studio, which is basically three computers with the main one in the middle and one on each side with all kinds of stuff like DVD burners and external hard drives and camcorders and DVDs and whatever you can think of in certain places....then you have pizza boxes strewn about and an Asteroids machine on the left but uhh...

3) Donations. Seriously, these keep the site running. I barely even glance at how much they are in dollar amounts, it is just the greatest gesture anyone can get for their work. At least at this point it is...as I usually just think of new and innovative ways to improve the site and the coverage based on donations...the more I get, the more I put into the site, since I absolutely never wanted to profit from this site. I have always strived to breakeven if possible, and I already hope that I can get an even better camera and more bandwidth so that I can just host my own videos and have the clearest picture possible with the footage I get. Especially for those college coaches who keep emailing.

4) DVDs. I might as well mention now, all of the video footage I have gets stored somewhere...I hope I can remember where, as I plan to put everything onto a DVD for purchase or whatever at midseason or postseason or something. It's all a new thing, but I have gotten a lot of emails about this and am trying to figure out the best way to get people DVDs of the footage of their son or daughter or friend or player or themselves. So if anyone has comments about this or suggestions, please let me know. In terms of price for the DVD, what would be expected, what should be included...I would love to know. I already plan for some sort of All-State or All-Illpolo type of video yearbook, but, I mean, that has to be a rare thing in high school sports so it is just another confusing thing for me to deal with.

5) T-Shirts. Would Illpolo.com or Baller T-shirts be cool? If anyone wants to help with this, let me know. I mean, I guess I am purposely throwing about 200 times more work at myself with this post but what the heck, who needs sleep?

More updates later if I can keep my eyes open. Doubtful. Peace.