Saturday, March 25, 2006

Saturday Marathon

Water polo from 7am-10pm today at the Fenwick Tournament today, and here are some things that I remember thinking at some point:

-The nightcap between Mother McAuley turned out to be one of the best games of the tournament. Neuqua took a 4-2 lead at halftime on a shot from outside 9-meters, but McAuley tied it quickly in the second half. The score was tied at 5-5 late in the fourth quarter, but Lily Gonzalez scored the game-winner and the Macs won 6-5.

-St Ignatius, while losing twice, probably played their most impressive water polo under head coach Mike Cashman. They lost by one to Stevenson and by two to Mother McAuley, but both games basically came down to a game-winning goal from the opposition in the closing minutes.

-I'm going to have about 15 minutes worth of video from the tournament...that's condensed to saves, steals, and goals - basically I spent 15 hours for 15 minutes...which is about right but, I guess I proved to myself that I love water polo and love making movies or else I woulda been watching college basketball, eating Chili Fritos, and ordering 80's DVDs from Amazon.com. Trust me, I wrote a 36-page book thing about the NCAA tournament back when I was in junior high because I wanted to be a sports reporter/author and that was in my spare time over Spring Break, so to miss NCAA tournament games for polo today was like, a big thing.

-Quite honestly, there seemed like there was a game where every team was very impressive. Neuqua looked great in the 6-5 loss to McAuley, as they played some intense pressure defense to limit McAuley's chances. Yet McAuley got things done in the end in their game with Ignatius and just continue to be a team that knows how to win close games. Sandburg had their best game early in the morning to beat New Trier, then beat Evanston, then got tired and lost to Mundelein. Homewood-Flossmoor didn't get a win but you could see a major difference in their play in the fourth game of the day after playing against tough competition as a mostly young team. Fenwick...only got the chance to see them once, which was rather unfortunate for me, their parents, coaches, etc; but they dominated for that 28-minute span anyways, and I am sure I'll see them more on Monday against Ignatius.

-More posts after the jump. And I don't know what the jump is...I think it's like when there is a link that takes you to a page with more comments that don't fill up this page, but since I dont have that, I'm just gonna say that the jump or my jump is where I just post stuff so you can read it and then I add to it later. So yeah. I'm random. I'm rambling. Long day. 15 hours of polo. Yeah.