Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Nitpicking

One thing that makes me mad when I'm trying to get scores is how biased the newspaper coverage is of certain sports. I'll start by saying that my favorite sports personally are in order: NFL, NCAA Basketball, MLB, NCAA Football, and from there just throw the rest in a pile and pick one and that probably would include water polo but...

...when there are IHSA Sectional/Supersectional basketball games there is this huge rush to post the scores and updates and what not so I can check the Tribune site at 8:00pm and magically the polo scores are posted and I can update the site. The next day, when no basketball is to be played, fuhhgettabouttit, they aren't updating the site or the scores until well after midnight so the random Illpolo guy can't go to bed until after that happens.

Now, I understand that some sports are more popular or bigger "money makers" than others but, the writers on these sites like Barry Tempkin and Bob Frisk aren't exactly Woodward and Bernstein and I don't see much award-winning journalism coming from them at all...with Tempkin being the more biased of two in the teams that he favors.

The sad thing is that you can get much more information about water polo from the Daily Herald or the Daily Southtown than you can ever hope for from the SunTimes or the Tribune. If these publications would realize that there are more than two sports being played at the high school level they might even gain some readers or subscribers but, in the meantime, they'll stick to trying to act like know-it-all's with shoddy and predictable coverage of the two major sports which makes them come off as very amateur in their reporting. And currently it's now 11pm, 3 hours after when they reported scores last night, and they can't be bothered to update things because there is no basketball to be played...

(By the way, I wouldn't be so fired up about this if someone from the random schools each night would take the time, approximately 27.3 seconds, to send me an email with the score of the game if they don't see it listed on the site)

...and yes, I plan to sit here and click reload on the Tribune web site until they update this just so I can reference how many hours basketball coverage gets over water polo and other "minor" sports as they would call them.

(and yes, I'm still mad that the SunTimes reporter who used my pen because the one she had ran out of ink at state last year didn't credit me for my assistance in her article, even though she used half or 3/4 of her material from my site all year long anyways)

...and with that note, I'm gonna find something better to do at 11pm anyways and just check back at midnight, and if they haven't updated things at the Trib by then, I'm burning my neighbors Cubs flag.